A JOURNEY FILLED WITH HOPE AND LOVE HAS GOT GOOD MEMORIES TO BE THANKFUL OF

From King Williams Town (SA)

to Suva (FIJI)

-------------------------------------

We often think that opportunities in life are set to be received and enjoyed by a particular group of people, those whom we may identify as the privileged in all sort of ways. My so beloved late Grandmother Nontobeko Fayaka, gave me an inheritance that no man can take away from me; Faith in Jesus Christ. Through troubles and tribulations she would say to me when I start to loose hope in Xhosa; "Umzingisi akanashwa" which is translated to mean "Those who persist knows no misfortunes".

-------------------------------------------------------
Picture A: UPCSA - Amathole Presbytery Fellowship of Youth
Bro. Fayaka Send-Off & Special Senate @ St. Andrews

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cancelation of the TIM 2020 was a blow for me because it meant a turning point for me in my life, my family, and those who supported my journey because they believed that for me a new dawn was settling in and a new hope for my family and community certain. But the programme had to be cancelled due to the Covid-19 catastrophe.

When in April 2023 the programme was brought back and I was to participate; a whole lot of things changed. For me, 2023 started very badly because I was excluded from school due to financial concessions that I could not meet because I had no bursary. That was frustrating for me and a setback of a kind as I was to do my third year with University of Fort Hare in Theological Studies. So my selection to be a participant here, brought everyone to an extreme excitement as they started to believe that; indeed, God doesn't release His own empty handed. So a lot of people started to prepare for my departure.

I will just count few activities that took place; by the time I was selected I had been serving in my Presbytery as the Fellowship of Youth (FOY) President; so, the Moderator of the Presbytery invited me to a Presbytery meeting which was in May to commission me. The Fellowship of Youth (FOY) in a Special Senate Meeting which was to receive my resignation as President for I had to leave; they planned a "Surprise Send-off Ceremony" which was also honoured by FOY Senate Members, Ecumenical Youth representatives, Amathole Presbytery Officials.

A Sunday following that event, which was on a Saturday the 3rd of June 23, my Congregation - EN Bono Memorial Congregation under the leadership of Rev BZ Mkentane, also conducted a service to pray in sending me off. Lastly; in this series of busy weekends, I was invited to give my last sermon to St Andrews Presbyterian Church in my hometown, King William's Town. All the best wishes and messages of love support and gifts, the people of God had openly pledged to me. I was so amazed.


This trip had ignited a lot of hope for many people. Myself first, coming from a background that is identified as a disadvantaged background due lack of financial sustainability from my family. So, the TIM 2023 programme elevated the name of my family even from my village. People were so amazed and thrilled. Most were so happy saying in their congratulatory messages that this wall deserved.

And for my home; everyone started to look at me with a hope that if I can have such opportunities, it means more are coming and it instilled hope. On the 14th of June 2023, I was accompanied to the Airport by my two uncles, my Minister and some Church members who said some prayers and motivations before I left.

During the flights; a wonderful experience it was. One thing that almost disturbed though during the flight from Johannesburg to Singapore. There was just an impatient passenger just opposite me, it got me thinking that some people only get happy when it is them that are prioritized no matter what the situation is. I am not sure if that was something of colour or from any point of privilege. But the attendants well dealt with him even though the were a bit irritated as you can learn from their faces. When I have arrived in Singapore; I could not go over to meet with my team for I have already had my boarding ticket.

A couple of hours later, I have met with Lemon, a candidate from Bangladesh who as well could not go beyond the immigration securities. A friendly person but with less words. He's not much of a speaker but had some jokes. I was so grateful. Couple of hours again, we met the other group to complete our number in Singapore with Dr Ameliah.

There we had a delay when we already inside the plane for more than 2hrs, and we were told that there was a technical problem, where we later saw the fuel tanks refilling the plane. On taking off; i was very shaken by a strange sound that the engines made such that I so wanted to ask the attendants if that was normal. I do not even recall when the sound disappeared, but it then went off after couple of hours later.

It was fantastic to get to Suva, we were welcomed by a loving woman Mama Fuata, who served the groups before us. The experience was so exciting to must have reached our destination. The only sad part is that, at this point, some of us were already starting to feel sick reacting to the long hour in flights. On Saturday, the 17th of June we had a Welcoming Ceremony where I was representing the group in receiving the Kava Cup to during as welcoming tradition of the Pacific Theological College working with the Indigenous people of Suva. A great night to remember.

In this journey, I have seen hope fulfilled and I have experienced so much love making memories that I am forever thankful of! GOD has been gracious through it all!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A heartfelt gratitude report.

Critical Reflection on reading Genesis 12 from Contesting Context.

2023 CWM Youth Consultation on Ecology and Economy in the Pacific