VISITING FIJI MUSEUM - QUITE AN EXPERIENCE


 A SPIRITUAL CONNECT TO THE FIJIANS

PICTURE: Fayaka in front of Ratu Finau Canoa

 

 

 AS I entered this place, immediately I felt   a   chilling breeze right on my flesh, and my     soul was certain that this place is sacred.





One of the members from one of the groups that are also attending a workshop in PTC asked us about the experience we had as he claimed that "I heard that you went to the Museum... how was it..?" Involuntarily, the first words that came from me were that - "You should go. We met the ancestors of the Fijian indigenous people there, they are welcoming!"

"Wait! What..?! Are they mummified??! He exhaled! In laughter I responded; that no! What I meant actually is that when you enter the Voyagers Fiji Museum you immediately feel a wind running on your skin as if you've entered a sacred place (if you know what I mean), and actually, that's how the museum is treated by the people of Fiji - Sacred Place.

For me, in the Museum my attention was taken by the big Canoa named Ratu Finau. This reminded me of a cartoon called Moana. This is a century and plus old canoa that was built by Amenio Kamaimuimatagi and his team between 1913 and 1914 in an island called Vulaga in who's retrieval and rebuilt was not supported by the government of Fiji. Even though this was an establishment and preservation of the inheritance of the culture of people of Fiji, but the government saw no need to support this campaign of resuscitating Ratu Finau as it had a story to tell about the Voyagers. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A heartfelt gratitude report.

Critical Reflection on reading Genesis 12 from Contesting Context.

2023 CWM Youth Consultation on Ecology and Economy in the Pacific